AcadianaCares supports the most vulnerable members of our community – those affected by HIV/AIDS, substance abuse, poverty and homelessness – as they seek to live healthier lives. They maintain a campus with onsite programs and services, including substance abuse treatment, housing and individualized case management. AcadianaCares also connects their clients to external financial, medical and social resources.
AcadianaCares began in 1985 as Lafayette C.A.R.E.S. (Concern for AIDS Relief Education and Support). At that time, during the HIV/AIDS pandemic, they were focused on providing education and services for prevention and care in Lafayette Parish. Since then, AcadianaCares has grown to serve clients in six additional parishes: Acadia, Iberia, St. Landry, St. Martin and Vermilion.
Thanks to advances in medicine and the increased availability of care, a diagnosis of HIV/AIDS is no longer a death sentence. However, the circumstances that make people vulnerable persist, including poverty and homelessness, addiction and mental illness. AcadianaCares has found the greatest success in a holistic, long-term, client-centered approach that addresses these underlying factors.
AcadianaCares is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
The mission of AcadianaCares is to address the issues associated with the HIV/AIDS pandemic and provide education and services for HIV prevention and care for those living with and affected by HIV/AIDS.
• Increase use of regional services for those living with HIV/AIDS
• Improve the quality of life for those living with HIV/AIDS
• Develop and expand relationships with other agencies that provide services to people living with HIV/AIDS
• Promote behavioral change in high-risk populations
• Address the myriad issues that contribute to the HIV/AIDS epidemic such as poverty, unstable housing, substance abuse and mental illness